Friday, January 29, 2010

A Sanguine Winter Evening

While I walked down a busy street with people chatting and laughing, a group of girls giggling and dressed in skirts and sweaters passed by. Cold breeze swept through my face as I walked into a cafe to meet an old friend. Dressed in a white T-shirt and blue jeans with an olive green jacket I felt warm and excited! Most of us tend to notice a lot of things while walking that we wouldn't otherwise. A woman stood across the road and held her baby carelessly in her arms. He looked starved, weak and dirty. A beehive of thoughts swarmed across my head. How do we react in times like these? Some of us either thank God for the comfort he gave us or simply walk past with a sympathetic, sorry look. Some tourists found it amusing and a woman grabbed her husband's arm and exclaimed "Look at that, so cute". Instantly, smiles were exchanged, pictures were clicked. An old man and I stood together overlooking the irony. I wondered if he thought what I did.

The cafe was quiet and just how I would have preferred it to be. If you know me, you would know that sitting in a cafe by myself reading a book and listening to music is exactly what I would love to do on a sanguine winter evening. Brad Arnold and Bob Seger sang 'Landing in London' to me while I read 'Love in the time of Cholera'.

After I'd read for an hour she finally arrived. While I sipped on my Hazelnut Latte she spoke of work, family and old school friends whom we'd lost touch with. We bid our goodbyes and promised to keep in touch.

Usually on such calm evenings, realizations strike. One such realization that struck me that day was that I'd changed. I could now make conversation.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger playbyrules said...

one of those days after which you really want to write post. very nice .sanguine indeed.

January 30, 2010 at 7:08 AM  
Blogger Blindo said...

We are so caught up in the trivialities our every day life , that we forget to treat ourselves to some much needed alone time.The importance of some time alone is undermined these days, people tend to call you a weird or as anti-social even if you desire for the briefest of moments to be alone.
While at a Coffee shop or at a library you observe other people , their quirks , their habits. Things don't seem so trivial anymore, you go back home with a smile on your face.

Thats what i learnt from this post.

Parting line : you are a conversational wizard.

A very nice post , i feel like getting some Solitude myself now.

January 30, 2010 at 7:35 AM  
Blogger Dark Covenant said...

@Padma - Yes exactly one of those days you want to remember in a sequential order of the events that occured.

@King - The comment is the gist of the post. Thank you for understanding it so well. You should get some solitude too!
Conversational wizard? Too soon, Too soon :)

February 1, 2010 at 8:10 PM  
Blogger NM said...

A very nice post indeed!

March 1, 2010 at 1:24 PM  
Blogger Somebody Else said...

Eeee. I agree with king. And with you. You *can* make *conversation* Nanduuuu
(:P)

I know what Padma means in her comment. I have tonnes of these days too. When every moment is actually three different lines. I like :)

March 22, 2010 at 7:40 PM  
Blogger playbyrules said...

+1 @somebody else

March 24, 2010 at 2:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Life is like a reel of experiences - where one can just pull out one moment and can relive it again - Especially the one with coffee always are interesting (with the stimulation adding to the conversation) - And time alone is very much like time spent with others, the difference being the emotions, thoughts and experiences are latent, are in the absence of the people physically but in the presence of your conscience and memory of the abovesaid.

At the end of it all coffees in memory or cup are somethings to treasure and taste :)

April 5, 2010 at 9:00 PM  
Blogger Blindo said...

This for some odd reason remains one of my favorites !

February 24, 2011 at 11:30 PM  
Anonymous RZK said...

"What a utmost metal-sounding title", I thought to myself before I read the post... mainly because I didn't know that sanguine also meant cheerful or buoyant. :D

Very interesting post, though. Goes from one set of revelations to another. And I can totally relate to those feelings. I love observing people sometimes, e.g. at train stations. ;) Gives us an entirely different sense of perception... at ourselves, too!

rzk

March 27, 2014 at 6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home